Bb Trumpets Discuss Olds Super '74 - $600 in the TM Classifieds forums; Hey everyone, I have a great playing Olds Super for sale. Was using it as my main jazz and lead ...

Olds Super '74 - $600

Hey everyone, I have a great playing Olds Super for sale. Was using it as my main jazz and lead axe but recently got a new Getzen which has become my main axe. I bought this from Baltimore Brass last year and it's a great blowing horn in very good mechanical and playing condition. A good amount of lacquer wear and scratches - I can only see one small ding on the 2nd valve slide. Plenty of pics, just email [email protected] Asking $600 and will include free shipping within the CONUS. All the best, Lex
    Mouthpieces: Warburton 10ES/'H', Callet JAZZ mouthpiece - Flugel: Holton MF3 top into screw backbore made by Jim New. Warburton 10FLM, Reeves 40HF
    Trumpets: Getzen 490. Jaeger 'New York' model. Stomvi Forte pocket.
    Flugel: Manchester Brass pro model
    Www.LexSamu.com

Re: Olds Super '74 - $600

Hey, I switched from a Super to a Getzen a long time ago. What are your feelings on the two? Does the Getzen match the tone of the Olds? How do they compare in ease of playing? What model Getzen did you end up with? Best wishes.
    Larry tscharner!
    M J Klashen The Yankee 1923
    Concertone, Czech made, pre war
    Olds Ambassador Cornet 1955

Olds Super Trumpet 1966
    Yamaha 8335 Xeno 2008
    Getzen 900s Eterna Classic 2009

Hey Larry, yeah man they both play really well and with a lot of similarities. The Getzen I got is an Eterna II 1200S.. It blows more like a large bore than a ML.. It also has a trigger instead of a saddle on the first valve slide. It was these two reasons I decided to switch to the Getzen. I’ve been working with Lynn Nicholson’s Maynard protocol and I’m using the vintage MF mouthpiece which works well with a big blow.. and I’m using a low pressure left hand grip which lends itself very well to using a first valve trigger rather than a saddle. One thing I notice about the Super is that it is really mouthpiece sensitive. With a deeper mouthpiece, it gets a very warm, rich jazz sound while putting in a shallow lead piece totally changes the character to a screaming lead horn. With the Getzen, I’ve been experimenting with going to a deeper cup for jazz and certain commercial recording dates to get that same warmth and darkness when I need it.

Another interesting similarity I find between Olds and Getzen is that most any horn you get will be a really good player. Most Olds Ambassadors I would not hesistate to use on any gig and the same goes for the Getzen 300, 400 and Capri series.

What kind of Getzen are you using? One future option that has been going through my mind is a Vax horn for my lead/commercial work and a Genesis for jazz.
    Mouthpieces: Warburton 10ES/'H', Callet JAZZ mouthpiece - Flugel: Holton MF3 top into screw backbore made by Jim New. Warburton 10FLM, Reeves 40HF
    Www.LexSamu.com

I play a 900S Eterna Classic. I found that it plays easier than the Super, but I gave up some tone quality to get the range and endurance boost. Now in hindsight, I think the tone is back to normal, no other player that I rub elbows with has as rich of a tone. As stated before here on TM, its the player's input that makes the difference. The Super still plays harder for me, more effort in the air department.

You sound like a professional. Great to hear that you use Getzen. I have been a cheerleader for them since 2008 when I switched. Great company, every time I visit their shop they treat me like royalty and even after they found out I'm a fraud. Though I have converted a few others to Getzens. Best wishes. Good luck with selling that Olds.
    Larry tscharner!

Olds Super Trumpet 1966
    Yamaha 8335 Xeno 2008

Thanks Larry.. Yeah, the Eternas are great.. I like the Severinsens as well.. Hey, I just happened to snag a great deal on a Getzen 490 a couple of days ago off the net... Never tried one before but have heard very good things.. Yep, I'm a pro freelancer..I get a kick out of the idea of playing a horn only a few hundred bucks on all these gigs.. I truly believe a well made quality horn like a Getzen..even so-called 'student models' (usually one's made 50's-70's except for Getzens which seem consistently good no matter what era), can play just as well as horns that cost several thousand dollars.. and, in my experience, even better.. Ive owned several 2-3k horns that don't play as well as a couple of student models I've played.. and this is true of several other pros I know too... Personally, I save the big $$ for custom jazz horns that I might want.. Like a Marcinkiewicz pocket trumpet I'm looking at (Have a Stomvi Forte right now which is really a sweet horn) ..Or that new Monette 'Cornette'... Or that Taylor pocket flugel..the 'Phat Baby'.. Or get something fancy by Harrelson..

Happy Thanksgiving.. Eat A LOT!!
    Www.LexSamu.com

It sounds like you and I aren't in the same league, that's quite a wish list you have. I'm a comeback player for about ten years now and having a ball giving the hot shot kids what for. I'm a Loras College alum from 81 and I play in their Wind Ensemble. During the summer I play with the Tri State Wind Symphony and all year round I play with the Americana Band, a small rag-tag group that dabbles in all types of music styles. "Well rounded" doesn't even begin to describe me. But, alas, I'm just a hack, but it is an action packed career. I don't know if I would want to play professionally, wouldn't I need to go out and find another hobby?

Anyhoo, my Eterna Classic is Getzens return to the more original type of Severinsen, and it does everything I ask of it. It definitely has long legs and I never feel the need to want something else. As for Thanksgiving....right back at you my friend! Best wishes.
    Larry tscharner!

Olds Super Trumpet 1966
    Yamaha 8335 Xeno 2008

Hobby? Are you kidding? Just take up extreme ironing! 15 strange hobbies from around the world from tattooing cars to collecting navel fluff - Mirror Online

Or you could join me in my hobby of collecting aloha shirts.. I wear them on every gig I can get away with.. People kid me that even in the middle of February here in NYC, I'll have my aloha shirt on underneath my sweater

SOLD! All the best, Lex
    Www.LexSamu.com

Thread Information