Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Dennis78
  • 1 Post By rowuk
Bb Trumpets Discuss For sale - 1929 Frank Holan in the TM Classifieds forums; Here is a 1929 horn that has sat in the case for around 80 years. Comes with a couple of ...
    New Friend

For sale - 1929 Frank Holton

Here is a 1929 horn that has sat in the case for around 80 years. Comes with a couple of music holders, an original mute and the original case. The handle is broken but included. $400.00 and $15.00 shipping. $415.00 total. Or best offer.

Attached Images Attached Images

Re: For sale - 1929 Frank Holan

You do realize there are collectors here and Holton enthusiasts right? That being said you're asking about $200 to much for the trumpet. Good luck
    BrassBandMajor likes this.
    The Cincinnati Brassband
    The Westside Community Band
    The Swinging Saints

New Friend

Hmmm, it was a post on here that suggested I list it for $500. I added or best offer.

For $400 I can buy a good Yamaha - NEW. I hope that you find someone with more money than common sense.
    Dennis78 likes this.
    Whenever I feel blue, I start breathing again.

It would help if we knew more about it. What's it say on the bell, what bore size is it, how are the valves and would they need to be replated for it to play well, things like that. One picture and a vague descrition will not get you very far.
    Lots of old horns...some Bachs, Some conns, A Getzen or two...
    The music is in the player, not the horn. Find the sound in yourself first.

New Friend

Its a revelation. I don't know any more about it except it is in great shape. I posted about it awhile back when my daughter was going to play trumpet just to see if it was worth cleaning up for her. She has decided not to play. I assume since it has sat for a long time the valve seals would need work. but I guess I would have thought you guys would know that. I am not sure why all the hostility on here about the asking price like I said before folks on this board told me to ask $500. I just assumed that with all the original stuff 400 would be fair. Apparently not. But if you are not interested just don't post please.

For 500 bucks, I would buy a better Revelation or a Model 48 with a perfect condition case. Or even a Stratodyne.
    I run the Holton society along with another 20 or 30 members, I would pay maximum 180 dollars.
    I suggest you keep it or try to sell it at 500 bucks to some poor innocent person with no knowledge of value.

Or be cool and sell it what it's worth.

I have watched Holton trumpets and cornets come and go all around the world since 2013.
    TM Safety Patrol - Let's keep TM Safe.
    If you spot an advertiser/scammer/spammer, hit the report button immediately.

Attention:
    Constant N+1 & N-1 in progress

This message was created using 100% recycled electrons.

Quote Originally Posted by BrassBandMajor View Post
    For 500 bucks, I would buy a better Revelation or a Model 48 with a perfect condition case. Or even a Stratodyne.
    I run the Holton society along with another 20 or 30 members, I would pay maximum 180 dollars.
    I suggest you keep it or try to sell it at 500 bucks to some poor innocent person with no knowledge of value.

Or be cool and sell it what it's worth.

I have watched Holton trumpets and cornets come and go all around the world since 2013.
    There's no need to be this hostile. He even directly said don't comment unless you want to buy it. Let the man try and sell it- or give helpful advice instead of belittling something he obviously does not know that much about. Leave this type of talk for the oTHer site. On a side note, you may run the Holton society but that does not make you the knower of all. Remember the experience others have and don't forget that we are all still learning.
    Lots of old horns...some Bachs, Some conns, A Getzen or two...
    The music is in the player, not the horn. Find the sound in yourself first.

No, I was just so bewildered about him wanting 500 dollars in the first place and still unhappy about 400 dollars. I understand the feeling when you think an item has a big price-tag and when it comes to valuation its not even half what you expected.

But, the OP should know by now that 500 dollar sale of this horn would be nearly impossible. I think that my post above was fairly compatible on this site not for the otHer site, I've gotten much more harsher replies than that and I am playing fair card.

The players have spoken, $400 is too much. Last month, I saw a rather flashy beautiful Revelation that sold for 395 dollars but with a new case, valve job done, all shiny and ready to go. The average price range for OP's horn would be 200 max, if generous.

About the member suggesting 500 dollars, he said it would be worth 500 dollars if the valves were done, all shined up and re-done by a tech.

Helpful advice:

I suggest you first list it on ebay for your wanted price of 500 dollars, if sold congratulations. If not lower to 400 and if not, again lower to 300 and keep doing that pattern until it sells. But if you want to play safe, I suggest 200 bid start price and buy now price of 350 dollars. OR 350 dollars or best offer.

Good luck.
    Last edited by BrassBandMajor; 12-30-2016 at 09:32 PM. Reason: edited to be much nicer.
    TM Safety Patrol - Let's keep TM Safe.
    If you spot an advertiser/scammer/spammer, hit the report button immediately.

Attention:
    Constant N+1 & N-1 in progress

This message was created using 100% recycled electrons.

Knowing that it is a Holton and not a holon. And listing as such might help
    The Cincinnati Brassband
    The Westside Community Band
    The Swinging Saints

Thread Information