C Trumpets Discuss Monette Chicago in the TM Classifieds forums; Fantastic Monette Chicago C trumpet. Serial #523. It hasn't been getting as many gigs as it used to, so it's ...

Monette Chicago

Fantastic Monette Chicago C trumpet. Serial #523. It hasn't been getting as many gigs as it used to, so it's up for bid! Tough parting with such a great playing instrument but Minnesota winters have been costing me and my car a lot of money...

Included are a case, C1-2 Mouthpiece (STC-2) along with a double mouthpiece case, and Monette mouthpiece manual and user's guide.

Asking $4000 OBO

I have more information and I can send a multitude of pictures upon request.

Thanks!

Dan Peterson
    Dan Peterson

Horns:
    1965 Bach Mt. Vernon Bb trumpet
    1965 Bach cornet
    Monette Chicago C trumpet
    Vintage Windsor trumpet

Mouthpiece(s)
    Monette B1-2
    Monette C1-2
    DW cornet mouthpieces

MJ
    Administrator Fortissimo User MJ's Avatar

Re: Monette Chicago

Can you post up some pics

Dan Peterson

Horns:
    1965 Bach cornet
    Vintage Windsor trumpet

Mouthpiece(s)
    Monette B1-2
    Monette C1-2
    DW cornet mouthpieces

MJ

Would you post some pics of the valves please.

Dan Peterson

Horns:
    1965 Bach cornet
    Vintage Windsor trumpet

Mouthpiece(s)
    Monette B1-2
    Monette C1-2
    DW cornet mouthpieces

Definitely some of the best valves I've ever pressed! I've owned the horn for 3 years, and I've never had to worry about them once.
    Dan Peterson

Horns:
    1965 Bach cornet
    Vintage Windsor trumpet

Mouthpiece(s)
    Monette B1-2
    Monette C1-2
    DW cornet mouthpieces

MJ

Whats the history on it. Do you know the model number? Who owned it before you. Any rot or pitting down the leadpipe?

Here's an email from the original owner when I was looking into buying the horn:

It is my understanding that Monette C trumpets of this era were built before the conventional Model numbers were established. As such, they typically are known generically as “Chicago C’s” as opposed to a specific model number. I have been told that the more technical model for my horn was most likely an “STC-C” – and I understand it is most comparable to more recent 61X models.

The horn is fantastic - the history of the horn is this;
    It was purchased by the principal second trumpet of the Oregon symphony, Richard Thornburg in the late 80’s. Fred Sautter, then Principal trumpet, had a close relationship with Dave Monette and the entire symphony section used Dave’s horns. After Fred upgraded to a newer and heavier Monette in the early 90’s, Richard decided to upgrade his as well. I was a university student studying with Fred Sautter at the time, and he made me aware that Richard would be selling his horn – so I purchased it.

The horn had been adjusted in Dave’s shop right before I purchased it in about 1991-92. I used the horn for concerts, recordings, and touring with the Portland Youth Philharmonic through about 1995 – after that, I played a couple of times with the Vancouver Symphony, and that was the extent of my “legit” playing. The horn was put away clean, and stored safe in a temperature controlled environment since. While I have had no need for the C horn in the last 15 years, the simple fact that it was a Monette caused me to hold onto it – I had entertained the idea of having it gold-plated and put on display in my home at some point. Since I haven’t gotten around to that in over 15 years, I have to wonder if I ever will. As it is, I do still play – but I only use a Bb horn. I would like to get a new Bb, and the easiest way to fund that purchase is to let my Monette go at this point.

I always loved the playing characteristics – it plays extremely easily, evenly, and in tune. Prior to this horn, my orchestral horn was a Bach strad – to me there was no comparison. While the Monette horn would blend just fine with other horns, you didn’t have to “work” as hard playing it – it sounded fantastic as long as you let it play and didn’t force things. That was the hardest habit to break – the bad habits of lipping and forcing certain notes a given direction on my Bach. The sound spreads wide and tends to be less directional than a Bach – it is fantastic for large auditoriums – someone can walk across the back of an auditorium from side to side with their eyes covered and have a hard time telling which direction the horn is pointing – the sound disperses wide and even. But it works great in small intimate settings as well.

I was actively playing in the 90’s when Dave had located his shop to Portland, OR and was just coming out with his newer and heavier horns. I was a student at Portland State University and could walk by the concert halls during all sorts of master classes when artists would come by to visit Dave’s shop and try out different horns. I had a chance to hear many different people on many different horns. My personal preference was this era C trumpet compared to the newer ones. I feel that the heavier horns lost some of what I felt – from famous recordings – was the premier sound quality of the symphonic C trumpet. I walked by some artists playing on heavier horns – and I would have just about sworn they were playing a baritone or something – it just wasn’t my personal preference.

I hate to let the horn go, but it is also disappointing to have a horn of this caliber not getting played regularly – and I sincerely hope it will be used and cared for well.

As to the updated valves, I honestly have no idea - the horn hasn't been played in almost 15 years . I aquired the horn in about 91-92 - the valves have not been updated since then. If the updated valves were something that was done after that date, then no, they are not updated. If valves were something that could have been updated before then, they could have been updated - I did not ask when I purchased, so I do not know. If there is any way to tell by looking I will certainly check - but I would need to know what to look for.

The horn does include a mouthpiece - model C12 - as pictured. I don't recall the STC designation - it is the "block" style - I had in my head that was the STC-2, but I could be mistaken.

There really aren't any dents or dings of significance. As noted in the description - there are 2 very slight dings in the bell area - they are truly almost imperceptible as you have to look in just the right light reflection to even notice them. That is all I can find.

I will have a hard time elaborating on the playing characteristics. I think those descriptions are somewhat subjective in nature - but mostly I have not played the horn in a long time and do not have a Bach to compare to currently. My personal recollection was that my old Bach strad was very bright - almost too so. I felt the weight of the mouthpiece on the Monette darkened the tone just perfectly - still a bright tone, but with softer edges. The horn "slots" very well - it has a good size center to each note - they key in playing a Monette is to blow right through the center of the mouthpiece - if you try to force or lip, you will miss.

As for any rotting, there's nothing I can tell, and I've given it a regular inspection and cleaning pretty much every month since I've owned it.
    Dan Peterson

Horns:
    1965 Bach cornet
    Vintage Windsor trumpet

Mouthpiece(s)
    Monette B1-2
    Monette C1-2
    DW cornet mouthpieces

Thread Information