C Trumpets Discuss New york bach stradivarius c trumpet in the TM Classifieds forums; Ebay description NEW YORK BACH STRADIVARIUS C TRUMPET This instrument is in incredible condition. It was purchased by a band ...

New york bach stradivarius c trumpet

Ebay description

NEW YORK BACH STRADIVARIUS C TRUMPET

This instrument is in incredible condition. It was purchased by a band director, who did not often play it. It was given a high quality relacquer and put away. I purchased this horn from the well known brass tech Robb Stewart, who sold it behalf of the original owner. This horn was built in 1947 in the original New York shop, and post World War II. This instrument is an example of the earliest Bach instruments that is on a "modern" layout. The horn is slightly longer than modern instruments, and the wrap is slightly tighter (side to side and up and down). I personally prefer this wrap, and have had at least one modern instrument rebuilt to similar specifications.

Other than being a very desirable, and rare vintage of instrument, this horn has a notable first factory first valve slide. This slide was installed at the factory, and the hook adjusts with the means of a screw like is often found on the third valve of modern instruments. As is appropriate for instruments of the era, the valve guides are brass, and are numbered, and the top caps on the valves are also numbered in the same way. The leadpipe is in incredible condition. It is likely anything you think you see in the photo down the leadpipe is of residual moisture from playing. The instrument is a "M" bore, and it follows a more light "french" tradition of instruments rather than the american "teutonic" sound.

This horn at nearly 70 years old still has nearly new valves. The valves are very tight, and will need to be cared for like a new horn until it gets worn in to its new owner. I have only used this horn as a "utility" instrument rather than a primary, so it has very, very limited hours on the valves. There are a few tiny flaws in the lacquer, the bottom of the third valve has a small patch of lacquer discoloration, and there is a tiny patch near the receiver on the leadpipe.

The 211 bell has a bright and strident quality. I have used this horn for some very quiet passages, such as the opening of the second part of Rite of Spring, and I have used it in quintet for high and delicate parts, or to be able to use a "big" horn when playing second part to somebody using an Eb or piccolo. I have also used it for the Schumann 2nd symphony excerpts in auditions, the open C and G lock in incredibly well on this instrument, and compared to using a rotary it makes that excerpt only a concern of keeping time, not of hitting the intervals in tune.

If you would like to know why I am selling this instrument, it is because I am lucky enough to have two of them. The other I have is in much worse condition, and therefore I feel more comfortable using it day to day! Please contact me if you have any questions or comments about the instrument. It, and I, are located in Chicago, Illinois if you would like to play the instrument before bidding.

Actual shipping cost to an international buyer may be lower than quoted, but to most countries, with insurance, my estimate is accurate. Please contact me with any shipping questions before the end of the auction.

I am also selling a NY era D trumpet, please check out my other auction!

Cheers!

~CRR

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1947-New-Yor...-/261492489227

Re: New york bach stradivarius c trumpet

Get into contact with Skelingtin. He needs a Bach C.

Quote Originally Posted by barliman2001 View Post
    Get into contact with Skelingtin. He needs a Bach C.

Who is Skelington? He is welcome to bid!

SkelingtIn is another TMer - I've sent him a message, too.

Quote Originally Posted by barliman2001 View Post
    SkelingtIn is another TMer - I've sent him a message, too.
    Thanks!

24 hours left! Bid early and often!

Thread Information