C Trumpets Discuss Nice Custom 1960 Olds Ambassador C Trumpet in the TM Classifieds forums; I have just finished another Bb to C conversion, this one with a 1960 Olds Ambassador. The Olds makes a ...
    Mezzo Piano User

Nice Custom 1960 Olds Ambassador C Trumpet

I have just finished another Bb to C conversion, this one with a 1960 Olds Ambassador. The Olds makes a real good conversion, I will be looking for more of these to work with.

This horn is, I think, a real good intermediate and certainly better than most moderately priced C trumpets and with reasonable care should take someone a long way. The valves are super and I now know why a friend of mine who builds his own horns uses vintage Olds valve blocks to build around. This horn has a few dings and it would appear that maybe some time in the past it had been refinished as the engraving is somewhat faint, probably over buffed. I took this to raw brass but all of my polishing is done by hand so as not to remove too much metal. There are a few spots where you can see where the braces were soldered before I moved them, again I did not buff with a wheel so as not to remove too much metal. Great care has been taken to cut down all slides to get the best intonation I can. Please see the pictures and video to hear it, I demonstrate alternate fingerings for intonation.

I am asking $450 OBO so if you are interested or know anyone who needs a good horn to start their C horn future on please contact me.

http://i1287.photobucket.com/albums/...psbe94c410.jpg
    http://i1287.photobucket.com/albums/...ps3fd4653c.jpg
    http://i1287.photobucket.com/albums/...ps9c5690b6.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9-Dv2...ature=youtu.be
    Last edited by Masterwannabe; 08-04-2013 at 03:53 PM.
    Ray Z
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    If you don't know where you are going it doesn't matter how you get there.

Re: Nice Custom 1960 Olds Ambassador C Trumpet

Where did you get the specs for the lengths and so forth, or was it trial and error?
    Nice job, by the way.
    BigDub
    pixels.com/profiles/waynemathisenstudio

comments welcome!
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Wayne-R-Mathisen/1592745394281517
    my avatar is my painting PM for more info
    Gmonady's editor in chief

Mezzo Piano User

Quote Originally Posted by BigDub View Post
    Where did you get the specs for the lengths and so forth, or was it trial and error?
    Nice job, by the way.
    This is the 5th mod I have done now and of course I learn something new each time. Each one has been different and and I think as far as conversions go the Ambassador lends itself to the conversion better than the other horns I have worked with not only on the conversion (lots of little nuances in the way the horn was originally mfgr'd).

Before I did my first conversion 30+ years ago I measured several C horns to get some idea where to start. I didn't do another conversion till about 1 1/2 years ago (I still play my first) and have since learned that overall the length of the horn needs to be reduced about 6.5" with that being distributed among the leadpipe, main tuning slide, bell and the 3 valve tuning slides. some of that will vary depending on the original construction and yes, I do a lot of trial & error. After my initial cuts I will go back and re-cut as necessary but usually never more than 1/8" at a time. I have been quite fortunate in the fact that I can slip the horn together without soldering well enough to test tuning and determine where I have to cut any tuning slide down.

I have also been quite fortunate in that everyone who has acquired one of my conversions has been quite pleased with them. I think you can tell from the pictures that it does not look like an overhauled or new horn. I do not yet have all the tools to remove all the dents or dings and with the exception of silver plated horns they are raw brass so no new lacquer job. I hope some day to be in position to produce a horn that looks like new but everything in it's own time, the main thing is function over form and each one is better than the last.
    Last edited by Masterwannabe; 08-04-2013 at 03:56 PM.
    Ray Z
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks for the reply. I am very fascinated with that kind of thing and have thought about doing it myself, but haven't as of yet.
    BigDub
    pixels.com/profiles/waynemathisenstudio

comments welcome!
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Wayne-R-Mathisen/1592745394281517
    my avatar is my painting PM for more info
    Gmonady's editor in chief

Mezzo Piano User

Ray Z

$450 is very reasonable. Best of luck - someone will be getting a nice horn.
    Stop acting like someone shot your dog.

Thread Information