Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Mouthpieces Discuss One mouthpiece? in the TM Classifieds forums; Just curious to everyone's thoughts on this subject. Do you only use one mouthpiece for all your playing or do ...
    New Friend

One mouthpiece?

Just curious to everyone's thoughts on this subject. Do you only use one mouthpiece for all your playing or do you find different mouthpieces for different jobs. The guy I get lessons from says its always better to just have one mouthpiece for everything but I want to hear all of your thoughts on the subject.

Mezzo Forte User

Re: One mouthpiece?

Quote Originally Posted by ejohnson91 View Post
    Just curious to everyone's thoughts on this subject. Do you only use one mouthpiece for all your playing or do you find different mouthpieces for different jobs. The guy I get lessons from says its always better to just have one mouthpiece for everything but I want to hear all of your thoughts on the subject.
    People who say that usually don't play piccolo trumpet.
    You could definitely use the same mouthpiece for Bb and D trumpet but for piccolo you probably want a different cup shape even if you use the same rim.
    Its unlikely you could use the same mouthpiece anyway as it may not be the same fitting as your normal trumpet.

It also depends what type of playing you are doing.

Gordon,

If the guy uses a piccollo with a trumpet mouthpiece taper, that may be possible. It is totally a different story if that's efficient enough. I tend to think that using same size and shape of rims on the different mouthpieces is desirable. But probably I should point out, that I do for the moment only classical/orchestral/wind band. No Big Band or baroque trumpet playing for the moment, which may make me choose for that stuff a different style of mouthpiece.

Nick I - freelance wellness consultant
    My online store
    The Official Group of Nick I
    Spada Bach B flat 72, leadpipe 2L/DWMM1.5C
    Spada Bach C 256, leadpipe 2LQ/DWMM1.5C
    A Besson Sovereign 928 modified by Spada to come...

Life is change. Growth is optional. Choose wisely.

Pianissimo User

I use the same mouthpiece for all my trumpet playing. I use a different mouthpiece for playing cornet, picc and flugel but they are all the same size - 1 1/2 C.

I, personally, think it's better to use one mouthpiece for everything but that's just me. I, too, would like to hear other peoples views on this...

Nick
    Nick Jolly

Life is something like a trumpet. If you don't put anything in, you won't get anything out. - William Christopher Handy

New Friend

i use shilke 17d4d for everything i do on Bb trumpet ,although i dont scream, play salsa, piccolo, or play anything too comercial. if i did im sure id use something else as well..

Mezzo Forte User

I use the same rim but different cup shapes.
    I think that works better if you are able to play on a smaller type of mouthpiece. The difficulty comes if you play big mouthpieces and dont have much time to practice.

I do a lot of different things, from classical to lead playing! I use Schilke 11A and 11AX, same rim and cup, but different backbore! I mentioned it before, but Tony Kadleck told me that he use two pieces! Bach 5B and Monette B5L! And he use the shallow one for lead playing, because it makes the job easyer, and the sound get some edge!! Not to play higher!

Some classical trumpeters here in Norway think they are awesome when they are playing Tower Of Power music on a big mouthpiece! OK, they are strong players, but the sound is not right!

I think most of the great players are using two or more! To change the sound! To fit in in all settings! Lew Soloff, Bach Mt Vernon 3C and Schilke 14A4a, Arturo Sandoval, Bach Mt Vernon 3C and Curry 3Z, Bobby Shew, Jazz and Lead, Tony mentioned above..
    Jon Petter
    www.facebook.com/jonpetter

Inderbinen Alpha 100
    CarolBrass CTR-4000H-YSS-C
    Yamaha YFH-6310Z

I too use the same mouthpiece on every trumpet (well, up until recently) - as I like to have a mouthpiece in each trumpet case, I am circumspect about changing mouthpieces.

For example I had three Benge 3C gold-plated MPs until I switched to the Monette B6 a few months ago - I hadn't considered the cost of this fixation of mine when I switched to the Monette though.

I have kept the 3Cs in all but the main trumpet case until I've resolved the issue internally and am learning to transfer the Monette from case to case, but the 3Cs are there just as a crutch in case I forget the B6. I'll probably buy a couple more B6s in the future but I'll wait until I have received the new Harrelson Bravura and it has settled in - one change at a time, I think, even though Jason Harrelson has assessed the Monette as being suitable for his Bravura creation. He says that I won't need to have the SWE mods done to the B6 - but we shall see.
    Last edited by tedh1951; 05-15-2009 at 06:04 AM.
    Ted
    Harrelson Bravura
    Getzen Eterna Classic 900
    Weril EP4071 Pocket
    Getzen Eterna II 700S
    Boosey & Hawkes Regent MkII
    Boosey & Hawkes Eb Tenor Horn

Pianissimo User

I use a Yamaha 16C4-GP for 'legit' and a Yamaha 14A4a for 'commercial' - I did try a Marcinkiewicz Vizzutti for 'commercial', at my teacher's suggestion, but I found what I think is the alpha angle to be wrong for me. I'd like to try a 16A4a, but that would be a custom mouthpiece I think and I don't want to spend the money on it at the moment for the small amount of non-'legit' playing I do.
    Quote Originally Posted by adamrapa View Post
    Well, to be honest, breathing is kind of over-rated. Personally, I think it's for wimps. It may look like I'm breathing, but that's just for show. I haven't actually inhaled since 1997.

I play on two different pieces, but only because I have too.
    I'm still young so I'm still trying to find a piece that really fits me. But recently I've been playing on a Bach 5c, which is doing wonders for me. For Spirit D&BC I use a Hammond Design, can't remember the size name for the life of me but it's the same as a 3c. I've never really been into switching pieces due to what kind of sound you want. I think I'm going to stay with the 5c in the long run. Maybe put atleast a few years on it before replating it or buying a new piece. GO BACH!!!!
    My question is this though, for marching i perfer a megatone. Is a Bach 5c and a Bach Megatone 5c the same, or is it going to fell different?
    King Model 601 (my favorite horn so far)
    Vincent Bach 3c and 5c
    ------------------------------------------------
    Spirit Drum and Bugle Corps 08, 09
    Choctawhatchee Stylemarchers 07,08
    ROLL TIDE!!!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information