Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Like Tree35Likes
Accessories and Music Discuss How to Play The Trumpet with ease in the upper register in the TM Classifieds forums; Ummmm, a double F is right above double C. Octaves always start with C. If someone was reading this thread ...

Re: How to Play The Trumpet with ease in the upper register

Ummmm,

a double F is right above double C. Octaves always start with C.

If someone was reading this thread and signed on, then we have nothing to lose.
    Whenever I feel blue, I start breathing again.

I remember playing lead in our college jazz band ... just about every player in the section could hit higher notes than I could ... so the moral of the story ..... well I think you get it
    !
    If you can sound Taps please take a few minutes and check out this site.
    Bugles Across America > Home

Banned New Friend

Very Interesting comments for a classified announcement. Just in case any trumpeter would be misinformed about trumpet notes, I have trouble resisting to correct Rowuk who seems to miss the ball more than hit when it comes to upper register. C is not the benchmark my friend....it is a note like any other note and we are not on piano here.
    Also, you are confusing, "high" with what a trumpet player might think as "high".

In general, you have a low note, a middle note, and a high note, then after you have double, then triple.
    For example:
    On BbTrumpet, the lowest natural note is Low F#. The middle note is F#1st space. The high F# is top of the staff F#, the octave higher is double high F# and finally, there is the triple high F#.

F, E, Eb are all on the cusp because they are so close to the top of the staff in regards to HIGH. Therefore, a player could refer to them as middle or high when they are on or right near the top of the staff. For example, there is no opera singer in the world that would call call the F on top of the staff a middle F! They would call it a High F! Just because the high F on the 5th line of the staff is not that hard for most trumpet players to hit does not make it a middle range note in the world of music! However, it is up to the person playing the note whether they want to refer to the Eb, E, and F above Double high C as double or triple.

I refer to any note 2 octaves above high D as TRIPLE! TRIPLE Eb, Triple E, Triple F, and all the way up to Triple C.
    Any note past a triple C I refer to as Holy Freakin' High....Holy Freakin' High c#, Holy Freakin' High D, etc.....

Lastly, why is anyone wasting their time in this thread if they are not wanting to increase their upper register? Is it Anger, Insecurity, Hurt, Jealousy?
    I currently am not posting in the mouthpiece classifieds why Prana mouthpieces are so much better than the Bach 3c being sold....buyer beware!
    Go to TRUMPETSIZZLE and get some range! This is an ad for a service that sells a proven 3 month program to increase your
    high notes and range with 50 techniques....it is not a debate!
    Have a wonderful Day and see you on the other side....the other side of: It's better to have and not need!
    Last edited by yourbrassinstructor; 10-26-2011 at 03:30 AM.

"Last edited by yourbrassinstructor; 10-05-2011 at 09:36 AM. Reason: slightly drunk"
    Slightly ?
    tobylou8 likes this.
    Mikel Dupac / Lawler C7-3R-1A + Prana B6S1
    Yamaha Xeno 8335RGS - Yamaha Eb cornet
    Couesnon flugel 1968 - Selmer C cornet 1964
    Besson Bb cornet 1906 - Amati valve trombone
    Carol Brass Dizzy pocket - Jupiter soprano bone
    Music is the healing force of the Universe! A. Ayler

Quote Originally Posted by yourbrassinstructor View Post
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.

...and as you all begin to do that, I'll wait...no really, I'm just gonna play a few Triple C's while I am waiting for you guys!

YOURBRASSINSTRUCTOR YouTubin' It!
    Ok. There is an ENORMOUS difference between being able to squeak, pinch, and push out "high" notes and being a legit trumpet player that can control the upper register.

Case in point...

Imagine some amateur/semi-pro trumpet player playing a jazz gig. He's in a middle of an improvised solo and decides to push out a decent G over the staff (4 ledger lines) for a measure or so. Then he returns to the more comfortable middle register. This is not what I consider a trumpet player who can "play great in the high register". I call him/her a trumpet player that can hit a "high" note once in a while.

Now imagine a legendary trumpet player known for his control of the trumpets high range...Jon Faddis. Jon can play any song you give him 15va (and probably even more than that). But the kicker is that he can do it MUSICALLY. He has immaculate attacks, never has to gliss or swoop up to a note, can play melodies up there, and can even be lyrical! Along with that, he can do that for an entire gig!
    Into the Faddisphere - Jon Faddis - YouTube

My point: Teaching a student to play great in the upper register is NOT just getting the student to "hit" a "double C". Anybody that can play the trumpet badly can pinch and use pressure to squeak a high note out.
    Also: Why only focus on range? Range is one of the aspects of trumpet playing that comes naturally with good practice. I'd rather have a great sound in the low, middle and middle high (on top of staff to the a or b just above the staff) than be able to play "double c's". I'd also rather play lyrically than sound like a broken dental tool.

There's my opinion. It may be a passionate opinion...but that's that.

YBI: Have fun playing your "triple c's". That's great. Just awesome. Just know that it doesn't really impress 99.99% of the people here.

All the best,
    Kujo
    tobylou8 likes this.
    ​Kujo
    Puje Classic coming in 2015!!!
    1929 Stroud Baby Grand Piano
    1950's Hammond M3 Organ
    (Many others that come and go)

Banned New Friend

Also: Why only focus on range? Range is one of the aspects of trumpet playing that comes naturally with good practice. I'd rather have a great sound in the low, middle and middle high (on top of staff to the a or b just above the staff) than be able to play "double c's". I'd also rather play lyrically than sound like a broken dental tool.

I focus on range and endurance because it is the hardest thing to accomplish and master on trumpet. Most players with hard work can develop technique and classical ability, Most players with hard work and a good memory can develop their ability to read and play changes! Most players have trouble and frustration with mastering the upper register and endurance....regardless of experience or genre they play!

YBI: Have fun playing your "triple c's". That's great. Just awesome. Just know that it doesn't really impress 99.99% of the people here.
    My Triple C video was meant for fun and not for any instructional purpose and I state so on the description. I have a ton of other videos including a classical video demonstrating high range and musical phrasing.
    Now why is it that you can only find two trumpet players in the world who have played VIVALDI CONCERTO FOR TRUMPET IN Ab????
    Maurice Andre & Kurt Thompson

It's not about the Triple C's, it's about having more than what you need! I have 90 videos on youtube...only one is with me having fun playing Triple C's....that makes it more in the minority.

Bill Chase - BILL CHASE
    Home - WOW! JAMES LAST ORCHESTRA...high note trumpeters galore!
    Home - Maynard Ferguson, Famous Trumpeter and Best Trumpet Soloist
    Online Trumpet - Online Trumpet Lessons To Master HIgh Notes and The Upper Register
    Home - It Is Possible To Learn HIgh Notes On The Trumpet, But...
    Home - How To Play Trumpet High Notes In 3 Months!
    Home - All about the Trumpet including many Trumpet Website Links and Resources
    Home - A TRUMPETER, Like Chet Baker, Maurice Andre, Clifford Brown, Maynard Ferguson, requires energy, chops, and extreme confidence!
    Home - TRUMPETS are one of the most challenging Instruments to play in the high range!

Just to double check...did you just compare yourself/put yourself at the same level with Maurice Andre???
    Curtis123465 likes this.
    ​Kujo
    Puje Classic coming in 2015!!!
    1929 Stroud Baby Grand Piano
    1950's Hammond M3 Organ
    (Many others that come and go)

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread Information